At Akusis we deliver relevant content to the more than 1 million people suffering from hypertension. At the same time, we facilitate an easy to use blood pressure measurement proces, that enables general practitioners to receive patient reported data with a significant higher data integrity than the excisting solutions. An ease of mind solution for both patients and doctors, that saves and improves lives, and lowers the expenses in the Danish healthcare system.
Hypertension is serious, and when not treated it could be fatal. However, the impact can be reduced, if treated properly and at an early stage. We have talked to a number of both patients and doctors, and from this we learned:
* Doctors require more than 500.000 measurements a year. Measurements are performed by the patients in their own home, and self-reported into an existing digital solution.
* Measuring and entering data in the system can be difficult, and leads to mistakes in about 36% of the total measurements performed. This gives doctors a poor chance of diagnosing correctly.
* There is a need of a more simple and intuitive system, that can reduce the number of bad measurements.
* Furthermore, the patients report, that they need information on exactly what hypertension is, and what they can do themselves to lower their blood pressure levels (besides taking their medicine).
* Patients feel left alone with a lot of questions, and no one to answer them. Instead they go online, and find the answers in various places, and too often answers that ends up worsening their condition.
Our solution is based on our own website, and our mobile application. On both platforms we deliver the content that we know the patients need. Today it is scattered all over, and of mixed quality. We bring it all to a single place. On top of that, we add tailored treatment courses, and hand on tools to be implemented in an every day life, giving the patients a chance to act and improve. Our content is delivered by experts in the areas of sleep, exercise and nutrition, as we know that is what the patients ask for.
For those that want more than just information, we deliver access to an easy to use measurement proces, by using the equipment already at hand. Historical readings can be seen on the application, notes can be taken, and it is even possible to send the data to the doctor.
The combination of the above signigicantly reduces the impact of hypertension in Denmark, and represents an approach to this specific disease, that doesn´t exist today.
The idea for this specific project comes from a member of the founder team, Kurt Rasmussen, and is further developed by the other team members, who are both health tech engineers. Kurt is a general practioner with more than 25 years of experience, and has for (too) long experienced issues related to poor quality of blood pressure measurements, and patients that want to do more, but don´t know how to.
We strongly, both as general practitioner and health tech engineers want to improve the every day life of patients, and enabling them to life longer, fuller and richer lives, free from worries and not needed complications.
By developing Akusis BPM System, we are able to do so, and at the same time reduce the costs of treating hypertensive patients in DK. We claim, that when fully implemented, we are able to reduce the costs in the amount of billions - even conservatively put around 2-3 of them every year.