Soundsensing is an IoT sensor and Machine Learning company based in Oslo, Norway. Our mission is to use sound as data source to help solve challenges in construction, manufacturing, offices and cities. Applications and current pilot customers include The Ministry of Justice; property management companies; Oslo Kommune, etc.
Our primary focus now is on monitoring of noise pollution - a real and current threat to our societies, environment and health. The WHO estimates that over 125 million Europeans are exposed to dangerously high traffic noise alone - and the extent of the problem is constantly growing, fueled by population growth, urbanisation, industrialisation, etc.
We help our customers to understand how much noise is being produced, at what time the noise occurs and what kind of noise it is. We do this by combining our custom developed sound-sensor hardware with data processing and Machine Learning (both on-sensor and in the cloud). The extracted information is then presented in a web-based application, and made available in an API.
Example: In-development web-site for one of our clients: oslo.soundsensing.no
This includes many interesting Data Science challenges, such as:
- Audio Classification. Identify what things are happening in a sound clip
- Event Detection. Find the precise times that a specific sound occurs
- Anomaly Detection. Identify when out-of-the-ordinary things occur
- Data Presentation. How to present information to user in an effective manner
As an intern with us you can work on:
- Collecting sound data in the wild
- Finding and applying existing technology and research
- Performing feasability studies
- Building ML models for specific applications
For applying, you should:
- Have programmed in Python before
- Be familiar with Machine Learning
- Be curious and driven to learn
These things are considered a bonus:
- Knowledge of Digital Signal Processing
- Knowledge about sound. Digital Audio, Acoustics
- Practical experience in C/C++ programming
- Familiarity with Geographical Information System (GIS) tools
In return, we can give you:
- Hands-on, personal mentorship to kickstart your Machine Learning CV.
- Room for failure. You're new, fresh and hungry - and we expect you to fail (a lot) in the beginning! This is how we grow, and we're committed to giving you that opportunity in a safe environment.
- When you feel comfortable with it, you can expect to be a part of real deliveries to customers like Oslo Kommune, the Ministry of Justice, Asplan Viak, etc. We subscribe to the 'learning by doing' philosophy, and hope that you wish to take this step quickly.
- We are a growing startup company: Stick around for a bit, work hard, prove your worth - and poof - you've got yourself a full time job down the line (for real, that's how it happens!).
Please include in your application:
- Your CV
- A description of your interests in the topics outlined above (1-2 paragraphs)
- NOK 10 000 - 20 000 per month. Depending on how many hours you want to work, background, skill, etc.
Note: you should be Oslo (Østlandet)-based for this internship.
This job comes with several perks and benefits
Time is precious. Make it count. Morning person or night owl, this job is for you.
Get your caffeine fix to get you started and keep you going.
Easy access and treehugger friendly workplace.
Your local office is your anchor point, thus, we placed it centrally at your convenience.
Metropolitists, beach boys and mountaineers we salute you and pay you to go and explore the world.
Want to be a partner? Look no further.