What is Slice?
Slice is the leading technology and marketing platform made exclusively for local pizzerias, making it super easy to order delicious, authentic local pizza anywhere, anytime. We serve the $45 billion U.S. pizzeria market in two ways: by providing a pizza-centric mobile and web ordering experience for consumers, and by empowering local restaurants with the technology, tools, and marketing to grow their business, while helping them compete with Big Pizza. Can you imagine what a small mom and pop pizza shop could achieve with the resources of Domino’s?
Slice was born in 2010 and has quietly bootstrapped its way to building a network of more than 10,000 pizzerias nationwide. Ilir Sela, our founder and CEO, started the company as a passion project to help his friends and family in the pizza business, but he quickly saw a massive opportunity to champion these small businesses by bringing their bites to the masses. Ilir has since built an amazing team of operators, marketers, technologists, and investors — all dedicated to making it easier for people to enjoy their favorite local pizza. Did you see we were recently Apple’s App of the Day?
We are looking for a business savvy Data Engineer to join our growing team of analytics experts. You will be responsible for expanding and optimizing our data and data pipeline architecture, as well as optimizing data flow and collection for cross-functional teams. The ideal candidate is an experienced data pipeline builder and data wrangler who enjoys optimizing data systems and building them from the ground up. You will support our software developers, business-intelligence and data scientists on data initiatives and will ensure optimal data delivery. They must be self-directed and comfortable supporting the data needs of multiple teams, systems and products. The right candidate will be excited by the prospect of optimizing or even building a new component of our company’s data architecture to support our next generation of products and data initiatives. We believe in tested automation of pipelines. The member of our team should not only be agile in producing the data pipelines, but able to test those pipelines to ensure a robust and stable platform, without data leakage and with understanding of the expected outcome.
What you'll do:
- Create and maintain optimal data pipeline architecture,
- Assemble large, complex data sets that meet functional / non-functional business requirements.
- Identify, design, and implement internal process improvements: automating manual processes, optimizing data delivery, re-designing infrastructure for greater scalability, etc.
- Build and support the infrastructure required for optimal extraction, transformation, and loading of data from a wide variety of data sources using SQL and AWS ‘big data’ technologies.
- Build analytics tools that utilize the data pipeline to provide actionable insights into customer acquisition, operational efficiency and other key business performance metrics.
- Work with stakeholders including the Executive, Product, Data and DevOps teams to assist with data-related technical issues and support their data infrastructure needs.
- Keep our data separated and secure
- Create data tools for analytics and data scientist team members which assist them in building and optimizing our product into an innovative industry leader.
- Work with data and analytics experts to strive for greater functionality in our data systems.
What we're looking for:
- Advanced working SQL knowledge and experience working with relational databases, query authoring (SQL) as well as working familiarity with a variety of databases.
- Experience building and optimizing ‘big data’ data pipelines, architectures and data sets.
- Experience performing root cause analysis on internal and external data and processes to answer specific business questions and identify opportunities for improvement.
- Strong analytic skills related to working with unstructured datasets.
- Build processes supporting data transformation, data structures, metadata, dependency and workload management.
- A successful history of manipulating, processing and extracting value from large disconnected datasets.
- Working knowledge of message queuing, stream processing, and highly scalable ‘big data’ data stores.
- Strong project management and organizational skills.
- Experience supporting and working with cross-functional teams in a dynamic environment.
- We are looking for a candidate with 2+ years of experience in a Data Engineer role.
- They should also have experience with the types of technology represented below, but do not need to be the exact named-software:
- Experience with big data tools: Hadoop, Spark, Kafka, etc.
We operate like a startup, so being self-motivated, curious, and flexible is a good start. You prefer to come up with your own solutions to problems but are not afraid to ask for help. You enjoy making suggestions for how to improve our product and business, no matter the department. You’re the kind of person who roots for the underdog. And lastly, this job will probably be a lot easier if you have a soulmate-level love for authentic pizza.
Join a community of engineers who combine creativity, curious minds and a commitment to excellence with the desire and commitment to grow and build on the engineering skill base and community here in Northern Ireland, therefore we do not hire remote engineers. Missing a few of the criteria but have worked in a pizza shop, or feel you can solve some of our interesting problems? Why not get in touch!
- Industry Leading Salary
- Share Options
- Strong Pension contribution
- Health and Dental Care
- Income and Death insurance
- £750 a year to use for any self learning/education
- Health and wellbeing benefits
- Market leading Maternity and Paternity Schemes
- Childcare Vouchers
- Flexible working
- Generous time off allowance and policies
- Free Friday Pizza and Monday Breakfast
- Fully stocked kitchen/snacks
- Annual conference attendance and training/development budget
- Substantial gym membership discount
How to apply?
A CV gives us a good idea of your background, we are interested in your latest work and projects. Education is great to see, but it's not overly important to us. If you have them, be sure to include links to any personal projects, blogs, contributions, or anything you want to add to your application.
My Pizza Slice Ltd is an equal opportunities employer
This job comes with several perks and benefits
Friday is something special, let's enjoy a beer together.
Get your caffeine fix to get you started and keep you going.
Want to be a partner? Look no further.
Break a leg! Seriously, we got you covered in our company healthcare plan.
Kids are the future, go spend time with them.
We take care of you, even when you are old and wrinkly.